The National Postdoctoral Association and university campuses and research institutions around the country will celebrate the seventh annual National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) September 19 through 23, 2016. Postdoc Appreciation Week was established with the goal of increasing awareness of postdocs and their important role in research. During this period, institutions are encouraged to plan activities that honor postdocs and recognize the contributions they make to research and development. In 2015, 122 institutions in the United States and Canada participated by organizing events in appreciation of postdocs.
NPAW at UCSF
To recognize the contributions of the over 1,100 postdoctoral scholars at UCSF, the Office for Postdoctoral Scholars and our partners have planned the activities listed below. We hope that faculty, graduate students, and others who work closely with postdocs across UCSF will join us in celebrating postdocs this week. Take a postdoc to lunch or coffee, or just say thanks for all the work they do!
Social Media Campaign
Share your appreciation for postdocs on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) by using the hashtags #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2016.
NPAW SPECIAL EVENT SCHEDULE FOR UCSF POSTDOCS. Check back as more details are added!
All events are FREE. Remember to bring your UCSF ID card!
All Week Long (and beyond):
- #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2016 - Social media campaign
- FREE access for all UCSF Postdocs to Mission Bay and Parnassus Fitness Centers, Sept 19 - 23, plus free enrollment ($50 savings) Sept 19-23. Sponsored by Fitness & Recreation.
Thursday, September 8
Graduate Division Fall Celebration - Mission Bay, Koret Quad, 4 - 6 p.m. Get in the mood for NPAW...join us for our annual BBQ and stop by the Postdoc Office table to say hi!
Monday, September 19
- Smooth Transitions — Top 10 List: Things Scientists Ask About Moving to a Career Outside Academia, Gladstone Institutes, Mahley Auditorium, 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Negotiating Work and Life — I'm Surviving (Happily) My Career in Science — You Can Too! The Kamens Ten Commandments of Work/Life Balance, Rock Hall Auditorium, 2:30 - 4 p.m. Reception immediately following.
UCSF and Gladstone postdocs are welcome to attend both workshops.
Tuesday, September 20
- Mission Bay Ice Cream Social at the Climbing Wall - Bakar Fitness, Center Fourth Floor Patio, 3 - 4:30 p.m. Free ice cream, free climbing, and music! Sponsored by MilliporeSigma, UCSF Fitness & Recreation, and UCSF Campus Life Services.
Wednesday, September 21
- Celebrate International Postdocs for NPAW! - International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO), Rutter Community Center, 2nd Floor, Suite 290, 9 - 11 a.m. Drop into the ISSO for coffee with the I-Team in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Bring a cup and we'll provide the cheer!
- Cake, Coffee & Conversation at Zuckerberg San Francisco General - ZSFG Building 3, Fifth Floor Small Conference Room, 1 - 2 p.m. Sponsored by the UCSF Office for Postdoctoral Scholars.
- Parnassus Ice Cream Social - Nursing Mezzanine, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Sponsored by USA Scientific.
Thursday, September 22
- New Date - Workshop: Develop Your Elevator Pitch with Bill Lindstaedt - Parnassus campus, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m. Limited to 25 postdocs. Lunch included. Pre-Registration required.
- Featured Event: Postdoc Slam Live! - Mission Bay, Genentech Auditorium, 4 - 5 p.m. Reception follows in the atrium.
Friday, September 23
- Cake, Coffee & Conversation at Mount Zion - Mount Zion Courtyard, 2340 Sutter St., 1 - 3 p.m. Sponsored by the UCSF Office for Postdoctoral Scholars.
Saturday, October 1
- Postdoc parents! Bring your kids and join other postdoc parents and kids for an informal playdate at 10:30 a.m. at the Mission Bay Kids' Park. We can chat about the fun and challenges of being a postdoc parent. Please bring your own beverages and snacks. Organized by MaD (Mommy and Daddy) Scientists.