The National Postdoctoral Association and university campuses and research institutions around the country will celebrate the eighth annual National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) September 18 through 22, 2017. Postdoc Appreciation Week was established with the goal of increasing awareness of postdocs and their important role in research. During this period, institutions are encouraged to plan activities that honor postdocs and recognize the contributions they make to research and development. In 2015, 122 institutions in the United States and Canada participated by organizing events in appreciation of postdocs.
NPAW at UCSF
To recognize the contributions of the over 1,100 postdoctoral scholars at UCSF, the Office for Postdoctoral Scholars and our partners have planned the activities listed below. We hope that faculty, graduate students, and others who work closely with postdocs across UCSF will join us in celebrating postdocs this week. Take a postdoc to lunch or coffee, or just say thanks for all the work they do!
Social Media Campaign
Share your appreciation for postdocs on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) by using the hashtags #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2017.
NPAW SPECIAL EVENT SCHEDULE FOR UCSF POSTDOCS. Check back as more details are added!
All events are FREE. Remember to bring your UCSF ID card!
All Week Long
- #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2017 – We look forward to seeing your photos from NPAW events on social media. Please use these hashtags!
- Fitness Center Open House for Postdocs. September 18-23: free access for all Postdocs at Bakar and Millberry Fitness Centers. Must show UCSF ID. $0 enrollment fee when you join! ($75 savings!). September 25-30: 50% off the enrollment fee (a $37.50 savings) when one Postdoc joins. Or, join with a friend and both pay $0 enrollment fee ($75 savings each). Sponsored by Fitness & Recreation.
Monday, September 18
- Maker's Lab Open House, Parnassus Campus Library, 3rd floor, Maker's Lab. 3 - 4:30 p.m. Come let your creativity flow free in the Maker's Lab! Reserved exclusively for postdocs, one can tinker with all of the gadgets and machinery, watch a 3D printing demo, and take home your own creations.
Tuesday, September 19
- Postdoc Slam - Genentech Hall, Byers Auditorium, 4 p.m. The ten postdocs chosen as finalists for the 2017 Postdoc Slam competition will present their research in front of the judges and a live audience. Sponsored by the Office for Postdoctoral Scholars.
Wednesday, September 20
- Parnassus Ice Cream Social - HSE/HSW 10th Floor elevator space, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Sponsored by USA Scientific and Hudson Robotics, Inc.
Thursday, September 21
- Five Mentors Workshop - Gladstone Auditorium, 10 - 11:30 a.m. If you are looking for a mentor and would like to learn more about mentorship, come and participate in this amazing workshop with speaker Naledi Saul, Director of the UCSF Office of Career and Professional Development. RSVP on the Gladstone website.
- Mission Bay Ice Cream Social and climbing wall - Bakar Fitness Center, 4th Floor Patio, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Take a break to come scale the climbing wall, then treat yourself to some well deserved ice cream! Sponsored by MilliporeSigma.
Saturday, September 23
- Bay Area Postdoc Picnic, 3 p.m., Dolores Park, San Francisco. Organized by the Postdoc Community at UCSF, BLPA Berkeley Postdocs, Stanford University Postdoc Association, and Bay Area Postdocs. See more information on the groups' Facebook event page.