The agreement fairly compensates postdocs for their contributions, provides support for employees with families and is financially sound for the university
Highlights of the agreement are:
- A new salary scale effective Dec. 1, 2016 that matches the National Institute of Health (NIH) Experience Scale and begins at step 2 of the NIH scale, providing a wage increase of about 10 percent for entry-level postdocs at the lowest step of the salary scale.
- All full-time postdocs will remain exempt employees under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Annual increases, which include salary range adjustments tied to the NIH scale as well as step increases.
- In response to postdocs’ request for more family-friendly support, postdocs will receive four weeks of paid parental leave, on top of the 24 days of personal time off that postdocs currently receive.
- Additional appointment security for postdocs who are appointed beyond one year
- Better protections for postdocs who have complaints about sexual harassment