All postdocs at UCSF are paid at least the salary appropriate for their experience level in accordance with the NIH/NRSA scale, and many receive supplemental pay above this amount. All postdocs also receive a generous benefits package that encompasses health, dental, vision, and short-term disability insurance, including coverage for their dependents. Read on for more information about how postdoc salaries and increases are determined or skip to information about benefits.
The NIH/NRSA Scale
Base salary and stipend levels for postdocs at UCSF follow the current NIH/NRSA scale. Postdocs must be hired at or above the level on the NIH scale that is appropriate for their experience in accordance with the agreement between the University of California and UAW, the union representing postdocs in the UC system. See the complete bargaining agreement and the UC salary scale effective June 1, 2018 for postdocs.
Although there is no maximum salary for postdocs, departments are encouraged to take into account equity considerations in determining salary when possible.
Five Types of Postdocs, One Compensation Standard
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Employee (3252): An appointment is made in this title when the agency funding the salary requires or permits the appointee to be an employee of the University, or when general funds, opportunity funds or other University discretionary funds are used to support the position.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Fellow (3253): An appointment is made in this title when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid through the University.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Paid Direct (3254): An appointment is made in this title when the Postdoctoral Scholar is funded by an external agency and the agency pays the salary directly to the Postdoctoral Scholar, such that the funding does not flow through the University.
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Part-time (3255): An appointment is made in this title when, based on the percentage of the appointment, the prorated weekly salary does not meet the FLSA salary level test. (The standard salary level is now $946/week ($49,188/year.)
- Postdoctoral Scholar - Interim (3256): An appointment is made in this title when a UCSF graduate student who recently obtained their PhD degree or equivalent needs a short-term appointment to complete an existing project from their graduate educational programs before moving on to other employment.
Mandatory Annual Increases
Annual pay increases for all postdocs are mandatory. All postdocs hired after June 1, 2011 were hired at and must always be paid at least the NIH minimum for their level of experience. Postdocs making over the NIH scale, must still get at least a 2% increase each year. For complete information on the required increases, please refer to the article on compensation in the contract.
Supplements to Base Pay
Some postdocs may receive a supplement in addition to salary. Such supplements are not considered part of the postdoc's salary and may be granted temporarily or withdrawn at the discretion of the PI.