The National Postdoctoral Association and university campuses and research institutions around the country will celebrate the ninth annual National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) September 17 through 21, 2018. Postdoc Appreciation Week was established with the goal of increasing awareness of postdocs and their important role in research. During this period, institutions are encouraged to plan activities that honor postdocs and recognize the contributions they make to research and development. In 2017, 115 institutions in the United States and abroad participated by organizing events in appreciation of postdocs.
NPAW at UCSF
To recognize the contributions of the over 1,100 postdoctoral scholars at UCSF, the Office for Postdoctoral Scholars and our partners have planned the activities listed below. We hope that faculty, graduate students, and others who work closely with postdocs across UCSF will join us in celebrating postdocs this week. Take a postdoc to lunch or coffee, or just say thanks for all the work they do!
Social Media Campaign
Share your appreciation for postdocs on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) by using the hashtags #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2018.
NPAW SPECIAL EVENTS FOR UCSF POSTDOCS
Check back as more details are added!
All events are FREE for UCSF postdocs. Remember to bring your UCSF ID card!
Thursday, September 6
- Graduate Division Fall Celebration - Koret Quad, Mission Bay, 4 - 6 p.m. Gear up for NPAW at our 7th annual event for postdocs and graduate students. Enjoy a BBQ dinner, It's It ice cream, and a raffle with great prizes. Event is free, but please bring your UCSF ID.
All Week Long
- #UCSFPostdocsRock and #NPAW2018 – We look forward to seeing your photos from NPAW events on social media. Please use these hashtags!
- Fitness Center 7-Days Free Trial Membership! - Pick up your pass September 17-21 and enjoy 7 days free access for Bakar and Millberry Fitness Centers. Must show UCSF ID. Become a member by 9/30 and save 50% on enrollment, or pay $0 enrollment with a friend. Sponsored by Fitness & Recreation.
Monday, September 17
- Mission Bay Coffee and Donuts with AllCells - Mission Hall, Room 2100, 10 -11:00 a.m. Wake up with some coffee and delicious donuts. Stay and chat with fellow postdocs. Sponsored by AllCells.
- Parnassus Ice Cream Social - HSE/HSW 10th Floor elevator space, 2 - 3:30 p.m. Sponsored by USA Scientific and Hudson Robotics, Inc.
Tuesday, September 18
- Parnassus Pizza Lunch - Nursing Building, Mezzanine, 12 - 1 p.m. Sponsored by Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Postdoc Trivia Night - Join us at Spark Social for some fun and games and food and drink, 5 - 7 p.m. 601 Fourth St, just north of UCSF Mission Bay.
Wednesday, September 19
- Postdoc Movie Night: "Contagion" - Mission Bay, Genentech Hall, Byers Auditorium, 6 p.m. This 2011 medical/scientific thriller directed by Steven Soderbergh was well received by audiences, critics, and scientists, who praised its scientific accuracy. The program will also include some fun short subject films, and refreshments! (The movie will start at 6:30 p.m.) Gladstone postdocs are also invited.
Thursday, September 20
- Mission Bay Ice Cream Social and Climbing Wall - Bakar Fitness Center (Rutter Building), 4th Floor Patio, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Take a break to come scale the climbing wall, then treat yourself to some well deserved ice cream while listening to music by Robert Kirkbride. Sponsored by MilliporeSigma, Office for Postdoctoral Scholars, and Campus Life Services.
Friday, September 21
- Mission Bay Lunch by Abcam - Network with fellow postdocs and then attend the workshop on resilience. Mission Hall, Room 1401-1402, 1 - 2:00 p.m. Sponsored by Abcam.
- Workshop: Evidence-Based Tools for Combating Stress and Remaining Resilient - In this interactive lecture, Dr. Alexandra Crosswell, an assistant professor at UCSF’s Center for Health and Community, will discuss her research on the science of stress physiology, and introduce evidence-based practices that build and maintain stress resilience. Mission Hall, Room 1406, Mission Bay, 2 - 3 p.m.
- Third Thirsty Friday - Unwind at Oda at 6 p.m. Co-hosted by UCSF's Postdoctoral Scholars Association (PSA) and the Gladstone Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (GPAC).
Saturday, September 22
- Bay Area Postdoc Potluck Networking/Socializing Picnic, Dolores Park, Dolores St. & 19th St., 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. Beer and soft drinks provided. Feel free to bring something to share!
Wednesday, September 26
- Postdoc Slam - Genentech Hall, Byers Auditorium, 4 p.m. The ten postdocs chosen as finalists for the 2018 Postdoc Slam competition will present their research in front of the judges and a live audience. (The event will also be live-streamed to Parnassus, HSW 301. Audiences in both locations will cast "people's choice" ballots and enjoy a reception.) Sponsored by the Office for Postdoctoral Scholars.