As a postdoc, you have spent a lot of time and effort on your education and training. Now is the time to focus on how you will bring your advanced skills and experience to bear on a fulfilling career. Using an IDP will help you to explore a range of career possibilities as well as to set realistic goals that will put and keep you on a career path you can feel excited about.
Did you know?
- Numerous studies have shown that deliberate career planning is beneficial for graduate students and postdocs, not only in terms of salary and promotions, but also in terms of job satisfaction.
- The award-winning “myIDP” online career planning tool was developed right here at UCSF.
- myIDP is free to use!
- Exercises to help you examine your skillset, interests, and personal values; and, based on this examination, predictions about the careers that might suit you best
- A powerful tool for setting strategic goals, with reminders to keep you on track
- Resources to guide you through the career planning process
Note: If, for whatever reason, you don't like the myIDP online tool or you prefer to do your planning in pen and ink, there are lots of other alternatives. FASEB offers a good, basic IDP tool as well.
Frequently Asked Questions and more information about IDPs.