Several factors affect whether UCSF is required to withhold or report your income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), in turn affecting what you are required to do to comply with the law. How do you know where you stand?

#1 Know Your Title Code

As a postdoc at UCSF (or at any UC campus), your "title code" reflects who pays you and how you are paid, and (together with your citizenship) that determines your tax status. Because postdocs are often paid through more than one funding source, you may have two or even three title codes. See a list of all postdoc title codes.  If you don’t know which title code or codes you fall under, consult your HR representative.

#2 Determine How Your Title Code Affects Your Tax Situation

 Postdoc Employees (title code 3252), Regardless of Citizenship Status

Postdoc Fellows (title code 3253) who are U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents (i.e. Green Card Holders), and Resident Aliens

 Postdoc Fellows (title code 3253) who are NON-Resident Aliens

 Postdoc “Paid-Directs” (title code 3254)

 Postdocs with Multiple Title Codes

#3 Attend a Workshop or Consult these Resources

  • See information on tax workshops for postdocs at right. 
  • Figure out how much Federal estimated taxes to pay and how to make your payments
  • Figure out how much State of California estimated taxes to pay and how to make your payments
  • Off-campus, a non-profit organization in San Francisco called "Tax Aid" offers free tax advice for people whose household income is less than $54,000.

Be sure to check into the possible tax consequences of your benefits plan.